Saturday, January 7, 2012

Why I bookmark your blog, or why I forget about it. :-D

So, I read a post similar to this (wishing I had bookmarked it) where a wise blogger made some comments on how the look and feel, plus ease of use of your blog, is important. I went and made a few changes to mine, like making sure you could learn more about me and adding a picture.

Being part of this blog challenge, I'm clicking on a lot of blogs. Some I read with excitment and bookmark for future reading. Some I read, and leave feeling confused, and some I see and click off right away.

The ones I comment on, are the ones I read all the way through that give me the opportunity to express an opion or viewpoint, or even to say "Aha! You are spot on." Some I really try to comment on, but am wordless about what to say (which is hard for a writer to be wordless!)

Blogs I like:
  • Colorful.
  • Updated within the last few days, daily is better! (Unless there is a note that says, we update every Wed).
  • Mix-up of content. I do understand that blogs like to dedicate themselves to specific purposes. But I like some mix-up. The same thing everyday doesn't really give me much reason to come back. Reviews need to be different, and stand out. I want it to be something I don't see everyday. I LOVE interviews, because no two interviews are the same (just be sure to mix up your questions).
  • Aha moments. I love to learn from my blog reading. Give me something that makes me say "Dude, I can do that." Or "Wow, I never thought about it that way, right on!"
  • Inspiration. I love stories that make me want to pick up a pen and write. Or call someone to say "I love you." Or make me want to go and do something, like donate books to a great cause. Inspire me!
  • Contests!
  • Discussion.

Blogs I read, but don't comment on:
  • Not updated in the last 2 weeks. I may read, but I usually feel my comment is old by then. Plus, I won't come back unless something totally intrigued me. I'll usually give you 3 visits to update, then I erase from my bookmarks (if that old post inspired me to bookmark it).
  • Random pictures with no text. I like pictures, but if there is a picture, with no dialogue, I feel like I'm invading.  Tell me why you are posting this picture. Give me some insight!
  • Short entries with really nothing to say. It's hard to respond back.
  • Hard to find comment boxes. Some blogs make it hard to figure out how to comment, and I don't have the time (or the patience) to figure it out.


Blogs I click away from:

  • Grey background with white text. I can't read these. There is something dull about it.
  • Not updated in the last week, 2 weeks if the post intrigues me
  • Boring text. If I can't get through your first paragraph without yawning, I'm gone. Keep it lively!
  • If you post on Facebook, give me a synopsis of the daily blog or I won't even visit.
  • Too much going on. If it's too much work to find your blog, I'm gone.
  • Over abundance of ads. They are so distracting. Really, how much money do you make from these? Is it worth it?
What do you think? Do you agree with my list or disagree? What am I missing?

I am posting this not to be mean if you fit into one of the blogs I click away from, but as a hopeful "Aha!" moment, in the same way the other post encouraged me to make a few changes. :-)


    25 comments:

    1. Thanks for this post, Debbie! I've been a sporadic blogger for a while and I'm trying to learn HOW to make a good blog which is not easy for me. I'm now trying to stay on top of things because I can see how important it is in order to connect with other writers like you! Currently I'm blogging about a show I've adapted (LLAMA LLAMA RED PAJAMA by Anna Dewdney). I appreciate your thoughts! Happy Writing!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Agree, agree, agree! See my comment on 12x12in12. Your blog is cool! *waving*

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks so much for the insight!! I'm headed over to my blog right now to check for "click away" qualities!!

      I'm on blogspot too @ www.Loridegman.blogspot.com and I love your Popular Posts feature - I'm going to add that to mine! Remember, the sincerest form of flattery is imitation :-)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for the insightful feedback! I am going to my blog now to make sure it is one that people will come back to. Check it out and let me know what you think. www.alisonhertz.blogspot.com.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Great lists! Now I feel less guilty about my mix-up posts on my book blog. I keep trying to sneak a book into every post whether it's really about books or not.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Helpful, insightful comments, Debbie. Everyone who is blogging would do well to read this. I've found a lot of help for my own blog from a woman who blogs as Laura B. Writer, and who does blog critiques. http://laurabwriter.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    7. This is very helpful, Debbie! I guess I've never really taken the time to articulate what makes me like or not like a blog - it's kind of a gut thing - I like it or I don't... But you've done such a nice job putting it into words, and given me some things to think about. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Great input! Thanks so much for posting this. I think I might come back to your blog! =) Hee hee.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Interesting feedback. Now I have to go back and check out my blog :D don't want to be running off my readers!! Thanks Debbie!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Great post :) Some really good comments there. As a sporadic blogger, would it help if I put a comment like "I only post when the inspiration hits" or similar?

      ReplyDelete
    11. Nice tips. I'm not a big fan of long video interviews. I prefer to read an interview. That's just me, I think. I don't mind vlog posts, if they aren't too long.

      ReplyDelete
    12. i thought your article was great. I'm not sure if my blog has too much going on. I'm a first time blogger. Mine seems more homey, but I like that. At the same time, I wonder how un professionl it looks to the pros. www.drawacircle.net

      ReplyDelete
    13. Good lists, Debbie. I know for me, it's all about the content (which, of course, includes "voice" too). I don't actually visit blogs in person after the first trip or two, though, instead subscribing in a reader, so the look of a blog is of no importance to me at all (unless it was somehow so garish that I couldn't stick around the first time).

      This also, surprisingly to me, means that I don't care as much about frequent updating: I read a couple hundred blogs, so I don't notice gaps as much. However, I do note that I am a more "invested" I guess I'd say in blogs that update more frequently. In general, I think it's because they have more of a community around them, too, not just more content. Regardless, it's great to think about why we stay or go... so thanks for your lists.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Great post, full of useful insights. I admit that I have some advertising on the sidebars of my blog, but never within the posts (unless it's specific post about something I sell), and always only stuff I truly like. I'm picky about what I advertise.

      My writing blog is only just recently getting the attention from me that it deserves. I have a health and fitness blog that has traditionally received the most of my attention, because I started blogging with that one when I still had over 100 lbs of excess weight to lose. I lost more than 145 lbs and my readership on that blog grew quite a bit.

      Now I split my time between the two blogs (and occasionally post on some of my other blogs), but I always worry that I am not spending enough time on either of them.

      ReplyDelete
    15. I think your tips are spot on for bloggers who are promoting themselves. Most of the blogs I read are friends and family members. I'm content just to see a picture of my nephew. But for those trying to build an audience, you're right; a picture just doesn't cut it.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Interesting comments! I am not very techno but intend to update my sidebar in time to ensure its user friendly. As for content, I try to be varied, your list has certainly given me plenty to think about. Thanks Debbie.

      ReplyDelete
    17. Sorry one more thing... I prefer writers updating only once or twice a week. I'd much rather read one awesome post than seven mediocre ones. But hey, if someone writes knock my socks off stuff every day all the better. (of course, the stuff you write is beautiful :) )

      ReplyDelete
    18. Yes, these tips are for Bloggers who want a following. If you are keeping a blog just for fun, for your family, or as a place to keep coherent and incoherent thoughts, then who cares what anyone thinks. :-)

      ReplyDelete
    19. Love it. I'm not so much into the colorful, but I agree with everything else. I don't think they need to be updated daily but if it's obvious they're not being updated even just monthly then yeah, I probably won't keep up with it either. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    20. All right, Debbie. I hold you (almost) solely responsible for the Comment Challenge Contest I launched on one of my blogs today. I'm no stranger to contests, but this post of yours was a sort of kick in the pants.

      Cheers!

      ReplyDelete
    21. I'm one of the family bloggers, but I still liked to see your comments. I certainly don't want to DISCOURAGE people who stumble across my blog. So while I won't run contests or stage interviews (I'm far too shy), I'll concentrate on a clean look, hopefully non-soporific text, and consistent posting.

      ReplyDelete
    22. The comment challenge is brilliant for getting to look at lots of blogs and thereby further refine one's own ideas about what makes a great blog (and I'm sure there are lots of different ways of creating a great blog - just like we all like different books, we all like and respond to different styles of blog)

      ReplyDelete
    23. Good points! I like your popular post section on the side. -mpflory.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    24. Thank you for these thoughts. It's always helpful to know what is interesting and useful to readers; I am going back to my blog with these things in mind! a.

      ReplyDelete
    25. It is always interesting to see what draws people to different blogs. I enjoyed reading your list - I definitely agree about too many ads on the sides - they can be very distracting.

      ReplyDelete