Being part of this blog challenge, I'm clicking on a lot of blogs. Some I read with excitment and bookmark for future reading. Some I read, and leave feeling confused, and some I see and click off right away.
The ones I comment on, are the ones I read all the way through that give me the opportunity to express an opion or viewpoint, or even to say "Aha! You are spot on." Some I really try to comment on, but am wordless about what to say (which is hard for a writer to be wordless!)
Blogs I like:
- Updated within the last few days, daily is better! (Unless there is a note that says, we update every Wed).
- Mix-up of content. I do understand that blogs like to dedicate themselves to specific purposes. But I like some mix-up. The same thing everyday doesn't really give me much reason to come back. Reviews need to be different, and stand out. I want it to be something I don't see everyday. I LOVE interviews, because no two interviews are the same (just be sure to mix up your questions).
- Aha moments. I love to learn from my blog reading. Give me something that makes me say "Dude, I can do that." Or "Wow, I never thought about it that way, right on!"
- Inspiration. I love stories that make me want to pick up a pen and write. Or call someone to say "I love you." Or make me want to go and do something, like donate books to a great cause. Inspire me!
Blogs I read, but don't comment on:
- Not updated in the last 2 weeks. I may read, but I usually feel my comment is old by then. Plus, I won't come back unless something totally intrigued me. I'll usually give you 3 visits to update, then I erase from my bookmarks (if that old post inspired me to bookmark it).
- Random pictures with no text. I like pictures, but if there is a picture, with no dialogue, I feel like I'm invading. Tell me why you are posting this picture. Give me some insight!
- Short entries with really nothing to say. It's hard to respond back.
- Hard to find comment boxes. Some blogs make it hard to figure out how to comment, and I don't have the time (or the patience) to figure it out.
Blogs I click away from:
- Grey background with white text. I can't read these. There is something dull about it.
- Not updated in the last week, 2 weeks if the post intrigues me
- Boring text. If I can't get through your first paragraph without yawning, I'm gone. Keep it lively!
- If you post on Facebook, give me a synopsis of the daily blog or I won't even visit.
- Too much going on. If it's too much work to find your blog, I'm gone.
- Over abundance of ads. They are so distracting. Really, how much money do you make from these? Is it worth it?
I am posting this not to be mean if you fit into one of the blogs I click away from, but as a hopeful "Aha!" moment, in the same way the other post encouraged me to make a few changes. :-)