Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day, I lost count.....

Tonight we went to a Bar Mitzvah. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's when a Jewish boy turns 13 and celebrates with the Jewish community and friends and family by being called to the Torah. I'll tell you, after all that has been happening, it was wonderful to get out, see friends, smile, dance, and laugh.

Yesterday we were allowed to go into our homes. We actually were supposed to go in on Thursday, but there was a swirl by the levee, so they had to fix it before we could go in.

The day began with me dropping Alex off at camp. I then went to Bomgaars to pick up some more supplies. I drove into the Dunes, expecting a huge line, but got right in. I drove through the Meadows, which is not how we normally get to our home. The line started to form at the stop sign, we then turned towards the park, and onto the main Meadows road. We saw many MP in uniform, checking our ID's. Of course the press was taking pictures as well. They then scanned our ID's we had gotten, and sent me in.

I drove over the bridge they built over the levee. It was muddy, and kind of eerie. Once you got over it, military vehicles were parked all around the circle. The place was patrolled by the Border and customs officials.

My parents had 4 feet of water in their basement. We are lucky, our pumps are running, but no water. We got the small pumps going with the generators while we waited for the contractor to come out. It was a mess, tiring, exhausting.... I drove through the check point 4 or 5 times that day getting things, picking up people.... I did not cry.



I really had no desire to go out tonight, but wanted to support our friends in their son's celebration. It reminded me that you need to continue to live and have fun. Life can NOT stop because things are not going your way. If you stop living, you are dying inside. Even if you don't feel like, it's great to be around those who care.

So those of my friends who are going through a rough time, call your friends, even if you don't want to, and have some fun! Sure, reality is still around the corner, but it will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment