Sunday, May 8, 2011

One Day....

"I want to write a book that someone will want to read..." I said as I anxiously searched for a book I heard about at a writer's conference. I knew it was coming out, and the story reached something inside of me. The book is "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. I'll let you know how the read is. But as an author, my dream is to share fun stories that people want to read.

OK, I better get writing. I have a critique group deadline that I'm not ready for. The trip to Europe, catching up, selling books, and getting sick got in the way of my writing time. And of course I had to finish reading "The Clockwork Three" by Matthew Kirby. It was a nice read. I was able to pace myself reading it, but enjoyed it thoroughly. It leaves itself open nicely to wanting more, so I can see a sequel, but it was satisfying, like a nice piece of chocolate. It has three stories that weave themselves all together to create a nice masterpiece. I highly suggest it. It's not like most of the books. And I liked it because it wasn't one of those where you read it so fast to find out what happens that you miss the details. You want to watch it unfold, and not skip ahead. I haven't read one of those in a while.

And on the plane, I don't want to admit this, but I read "Something Borrowed" which is now becoming a movie.  I was kind of appalled as I could not relate to ever sleeping with my best friend's fiancee and then justifying it. Maybe I'm too much a goody, goody, but the objective of the book is to make you feel sorry for the main character and forgive her cheating. I guess I was even more turned off when I read someone's comment, "It made me feel better for my own affair!"  It was a totally enthralling smut novel that takes you into a journey most of us (I really hope none of us) would never venture on, and let you be a fly on a wall. I did enjoy the read and finished it, and I'll probably watch the movie secretly alone when it comes out on video. Don't tell anyone!  But I really do worry about what is happening in the world and where our own moral compasses are going. But that's what makes a good book, when you get to visit a world you wouldn't visit on a day to day basis. No one wants to read about why I can't make peanut butter sandwiches for my son's lunch anymore.

OK, off to write!

me

No comments:

Post a Comment